What’s this about?
I am training to run a half marathon this year. I hope to raise funds for Asha for Education, a non-profit organization, working to bring socio-economic change in India through education of underprivileged children. It is a significant time commitment and challenge to train for a marathon. I am however constantly motivated knowing that the funds I raise could mean the difference between education and poverty for underprivileged children.
Why run for this cause?
We all are very fortunate to be in the place where we are today and to have choices in life. There are millions of children in India who do not have a choice but to work as child laborers. Most of them grow up without ever going to a school, not knowing what it would have been like to get an education. This is an effort to give them a choice to get educated. A choice to experience a better life and a chance to be a child again.
Here are some staggering facts:
- 1/6 of the humanity is illiterate. Nearly a billion people, two thirds of them women, entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.
- There are more than 350+ million people in India alone who cannot read or write. That is greater than the entire population of the US !!!
- According to the last census report, one-third of all children in India aged 6-14 years (55 million total) are out of school.
Top 4 reasons why you should donate to Team Asha.
- Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. By educating underprivileged children, we can help them break out of the cycle of poverty and experience a better life.
- Asha is a 100% volunteer driven organization trying to keep the overhead low so that every dollar donated goes directly to benefit the cause. Athletes cover all marathon related expenses.
- Your contribution is tax-deductible(Tax ID: 77-0459884, Asha for Education).
- Most employers will match contributions made to Asha for Education.
How you can participate? You can help me and be a part of this effort by contributing towards my fund raising. You can donate by:
- Credit Card:
- Please click the ‘Donate’ button on the right.
- Make the check payable to “Asha for Education” (no chapter or runner name here).
- Please include the runner’s name and the words “Austin Chapter” in the check’s memo field.
- Please send the check directly to:
Asha for Education – Austin Chapter, PO Box 398080, San Francisco, CA 94139-8080
- Please email email@example.com so we may know to expect the check.
Company Matching: You can double the impact of your donation by getting it matched from your company. Most of the companies match donations by employees to Asha fro Education. Please check with your company and let us know. Asha will then contact your company. All donations are 100% tax deductible (Tax Id 77-0459884).
Please donate generously. The impact of your contribution will continue to be felt in the life of underprivileged children, long after each of us have moved on with our lives.