Last year, I started running long distance after a big break of 5 years. It was not easy, I got injured in between : my plantar flared up and had to spend good 3 weeks recovering. With help of a good podiatrist and PT, I was able to come back from that to complete 2018 Austin Half Marathon. This year, I am planning to challenge myself by running 2 Half-Marathons (13.1 miles each) in 2 months. My first race is on Jan 20 (3M Half Marathon) and second race is on Feb 17 (Austin Half Marathon).
I run so they can READ
Why Asha for Education?
Asha for Education is a low-overhead, 100% volunteer-driven 501c(3) organization that works on education in India with the belief that education is a critical requisite for socio-economic change. It has scored “Perfect 100” on Charity Navigator for 3 years in a row for being a low-overhead, transparent, and accountable organization. Importantly, it means your donation has a big impact on children, teachers and schools who need our help, support and motivation.
My Goal is to raise $2600. Funds raised will go towards education, food, therapy and medical expenses (with certain project partners) for underprivileged children supported by Asha-Austin. Following are some projects currently funded by them :
- Gramin Shiksha Kendra’s Girirajpura School (GSK), an alternative education school, in rural Rajasthan, India, with ~100 children, helped setup by Asha-Austin in 2015. Asha-Austin supports the operational expenses of the school for ~20k USD annually, towards teacher salaries, teaching and learning material. Further, Asha-Austin helped construct a classroom in 2016-17 (Video).
- Mathru Foundation, a residential home for children with physical disabilities, in Bangalore, India. Asha-Austin supports the operating expenses of the home, since 2015, for ~12.5k USD annually, towards food, education and medical needs for the 19 children (Video).
- Khushboo Welfare Society (KWS), a school for children with mental and multiple disabilities, with ~115 children, in Gurgaon, India. Asha-Austin is currently supporting their new initiatives program, since 2016, and funds salaries of a physiotherapist, occupational therapist, arts teacher, music teacher, dance teacher, computer teacher, yoga teacher and pottery instructor for ~20k USD annually (Video).
- Nethra Vidyalaya – Varija School (Nethra), a residential school for children with visual impairments, with ~114 children, in Vishakapatnam, India. Nethra is Asha-Austin’s latest project and is currently supporting salaries of seven teachers, imparting Maths, Science, Social Science, English, Computer Science, Braille, and Martial Arts and Yoga, since 2018 for ~12.5k USD annually (Video).
What can you DO ?
Please consider donating through my fundraiser. Your contribution is tax-deductible (Tax ID: 77-0459884, Asha for Education) and the money raised is extremely invaluable in supporting Asha for Education, Asha-Austin chapter and Team Asha’s mission.
Support a child with your gift of education today. Enrich a life forever.
|25$||Monthly therapy session cost for each special child at KWS (physiotherapy/ psychotherapy/ occupational therapy/ yoga, dance and music lessons)|
|30$||Monthly support for education for each special child at Nethra|
|50$||Monthly food expenses for each special child at Mathru|
|85$||Monthly teaching and learning material cost for Girirajpura School of GSK|
|100$||Monthly food, educational and medical support for each special child at Mathru|
|131$||10$ for every mile of my run to support education for the underprivileged children back in India|
|250$||Annual support for each child at Girirajpura School of GSK|
|300$||Annual support for each special child at KWS|
|360$||Annual support for each special child at Nethra|
How to DONATE?
I request that you make your tax-deductible donation on this secure page by clicking on the “DONATE NOW” button on the top-right, prior to February 17, 2019.
Majority of Companies match employee donations. This is an great way to double the impact of your donation.
- Search “Asha for Education” in your Company’s Giving portal
- Please ensure address & EIN (Tax-ID) are :
- Address : PO Box 398080, San Francisco, CA 94139-8080
- EIN: 77-0459884
- Provide details about your donation on the Giving portal.
- Note some companies want employees to donate through their Giving portal. Please check this before making the donation on this page.
- Please include “Mohit Sood, Austin Chapter” in Description section.
- Please email me or email@example.com so we may know to expect a donation match.
Please remember that whatever you can donate is valuable. Helen Keller once said “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much”. And I request you, to take this journey with me towards my goal.